Sunday, March 07, 2010

Fearless Females - March 8

Did one of your female ancestors leave a diary, journal, or collection of letters? Share an entry or excerpt.

I have the Friendship book of my 2nd gtgrand aunt, Elizabeth Douglass, born in 1834 in Mercer county, Pennsylvania. This is a poem written by her "Ma", Maria Parks Douglass, my 3rd gt grandmother. I know nothing else about this ancestor except her approximate birth, 1805, her marriage, 1825 and her death, 1846, but I do have a poem written to her daughter in her own hand. Wow.
Transcription
A Friend Wish
Elizabeth my wish shall ever be, that while on earth you stay;
Youth's fondest dreams may be to thee like one long, summer's day.
When time, in after years, has set his signet on thy brow,
It will be sweet to recollect the friend who love thee now;
So may I in thy memory live! and O may Heaven ever give
Her purest ray of light divine, to teach thee how to live.
                                         Your  Ma
Hollidaysburg, April 23d, 1845

No comments: