Saturday, April 10, 2010

SNGF with Randy Seaver at Genea-Musings

My mission should I choose to take it: 
1) Tell us: Which ancestor or relative do you readily identify with? Which one do you admire? Which one are you most like, or wish that you were most like? Which one would you really like to sit down and have a heart-to-heart conversation with?

I would really like to have a heart-to-heart conversation with my 4th gtgrandfather, Jacob Wise (1771-1845).  Here are some of the questions I would ask;  "Did he come from Maryland or Virginia?  Was his wife Mary Wise?  Were they cousins?  What did he do while living in Greene co, PA?  I have found no land records for him; only the sale of one house lot.  Did he rent land to farm?  Did he have another occupation? A cooper or a blacksmith? Was Greene county just a stepping stone to his ultimate goal: Ohio?  But the biggest question of all would be "Who was your father?"  For genealogists I guess that is always the question but I have been looking for his father for 35 years and I still don't feel any closer to the answer.

Once the conversation got started, more and more questions would beg for answers.  What were his dreams?  Was he a kind man?  Did he believe in equality; for woman, for all men?  Did he believe in fun or was there only work.  I know he was a founding member of a Methodist Episcopol church in Monroe county, Ohio where he moved with his large family in 1814.  Did his religion bring him joy or was it a burden?  Was he proud of his large family.  He had 9 children, 4 girls and 5 boys. Did he like to sing?  What was his favorite food?  Oh, the list would go on and on.

No comments: